Wednesday 20 May 2015

Use up those scraps!

Sample side 1 - Heart shapes strung around the edging
The final week of the machine embroidery course. This session we learnt how to use dissolving fabrics. I was surprised to find that dissolving fabric is much like plastic in both look and feel. Once you've gathered up a bundle of old cotton and fabric scraps - it is the perfect way to make use of the bits you'd normally thrown away. I love this idea as it's recycling at it's best: making something beautiful from something you would normally throw away.
Sample side 2 - can you spot the central heart?


I practised embroidery flowing shapes on the machine, in the form of circles with a heart centre. Once dissolved, the heart centre was without something to bind to, so next time I'll remember to cover the whole surface with embroidery.

I'm going to use this to decorate my studio clock so this is very much work in progress!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about this blog and answer any art-related questions you may have.
Please type any comments you have here, and I will post a reply. Thank you.